The Diversity & Inclusion Team of Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Diversity & Inclusion Specialist in the New York office. The Diversity & Inclusion Specialist has firm-wide responsibility to advance the firm’s overarching diversity & inclusion strategy with particular emphasis on support of the firm’s attorney and administrative professionals affinity groups. This role is primarily responsible for assisting the Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer (CDIO) in implementing aspects of the firm’s affinity group related initiatives, as well as working with other members of the Diversity & Inclusion team to support the firm’s broader diversity and inclusion efforts. The Specialist will contribute to firm-wide initiatives and special projects, as needed, to advance recruiting, retention, development, and promotion efforts for lawyers and administrative professionals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the CDIO and the firm’s Affinity Groups to develop and coordinate in-person and virtual programs and provide logistical support for both internal and external programs.
- Work closely with the CDIO, Manager and other firm colleagues to organize and execute firm-wide and office specific diversity and inclusion events and education programs.
- Support firm-wide diversity and inclusion efforts, including the D&I Committee and D&I Associate Advisory Board initiatives, diversity pipeline initiatives, and any other activities supported by the Diversity and Inclusion team.
- Assist the CDIO with managing and tracking the diversity-related sponsorships and memberships that the firm maintains with industry organizations and bar associations; make recommendations to the CDIO regarding the continued support of various organizations.
- Assist with the preparation of responses to industry diversity surveys and clients' requests for diversity-related information.
- Work with the CDIO and the firm’s recruiting teams to implement strategies to attract attorneys and professionals from underrepresented communities, including but not limited to identification of attorneys to participate in recruiting events; the administration and promotion of the Arnold & Porter D&I Scholarship; and law student and legal professional outreach and marketing efforts.
- Assist the CDIO and Manager in maintaining relationships with law school diversity professionals, alumni, community stakeholders and other diversity and inclusion professionals to expand outreach efforts and increase partnerships, visibility and the success of diversity initiatives.
- Conduct ongoing research on DE&I trends and best practices, as needed.
- Assist in the development of DE&I materials, resources and toolkits.
- Provide support in the areas of project management, scheduling, and the organization of work for the D&I Assistant.
- Work with the D&I team and Marketing to maintain diversity and inclusion marketing content: including updates to the firm's internal and external websites, development of internal and external promotional and informational materials to support diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives.
- Serve as diversity, inclusion, and equity subject matter expert; stay abreast of market trends and innovations.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, particularly in the Human Resources, Talent, and Marketing departments, to create programs to support the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of post-graduate experience supporting and implementing innovative D&I initiatives in a law firm or professional services organization.
- Experience with diversity, inclusion, and equity practices and programs, especially with employee resource, affinity groups or networks, in the legal profession and/or corporate organizations.
- Experience supporting and implementing innovative D&I initiatives.
- Prior experience in professional development, marketing, legal recruiting or related area highly desirable.
- High proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software; proficiency in viDesktop and HTML coding are preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the diversity and inclusion industry and theories of intersectionality as they pertain to implementing initiatives for members of underrepresented communities.
- Highly developed project management skills and experience with event planning.
- Exceptional flexibility and ability to be a strong team player.
- Excellent collaboration and organizational skills, with the ability to work well under pressure in a dynamic environment, with proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple priorities and organize complex information, and implement solutions as needed.
- Able to effectively work both independently and collaboratively with professionals at all levels.
- Strong judgment and ability to respect, protect, and maintain highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Must be team oriented, contributing as needed on unexpected projects or requests.
- Exceptionally strong attention to detail, professional presence and strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.